IPB

Site eLady | Articole eLady | Adrese utile | Trimite articol pentru eLady.ro | Trimite adresa utila | Contact 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's speak English!, practise conversation with us
walpurgik
post Aug 11 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #11

Musafir

ain't got sleep, of course!
What can u say about that?

"Researchers tell us love is not really blind. Everybody—even the nicest
people—has a touch of crass when it comes to choosing a long-term partner. It's no different than in
the business world where everybody asks, "WIIFM?" What's in it for me?[...]
If you want to make someone fall in love with you, researchers say, you must initially convince them
they're getting a good deal. We may not be conscious of it but, science tells us, tried and true market
principles apply to love relationships. Lovers unconsciously calculate the other person's comparable
worth
, the cost-benefit ratio of the relationship, the hidden costs, the maintenance fee, and the
assumed depreciation. Then they ask themselves, "Is this the best offer I can get?" Everybody has
a big scorecard locked away in their heart. And, in order to make people fall in love with you, you
have to make them feel they're getting a very good deal."
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

There's more: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
According to a study:
"Huntresses, these are the moves that make a man come over and talk to you at a party.
HOW WOMEN SUCCESSFULLY MAKE THE FIRST MOVE
Smile at him broadly 511
Throw him a short, darting glance 253
Dance alone to the music 253
Look straight at him and flip your hair 139
Keep a fixed gaze on him 117
Look at him, toss your head, then look back 102
"Accidentally" brush up against him 96
Nod your head at him 66
Point to a chair and invite him to sit 62
Tilt your head and touch your exposed neck 58
Lick your lips during eye contact 48
Primp while keeping eye contact with him 46
Parade close to him with exaggerated hip movement 41
Parade close to him with exaggerated hip movement 41
Ask for his help with something 34
Tap something to get his attention 8
Pat his buttocks (My note: not advised!) 8"

to be continued...:
from the next episode: LEARN "RAW SEX" FROM MEN'S FLICKS, What Type of Looks Do Men Like?, "I Love the Way You Wrinkle Your Nose When You Laugh", Ego Massage Is a Highly Skilled Craft and more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) so stay tuned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
walpurgik
post Sep 12 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #12

Musafir

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, and then began...)"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental...

You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.

I make them question.

I make them criticize.

I make them apologize and mean it.

I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

I teach them to write and then I make them write.

I make them read, read, read.

I make them show all their work in math.

I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United States of America .

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.) "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant. Do you want to know what I make?

I make a difference. What do you make?"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The School Answering Machine
This is hilarious -- no wonder some people were offended! Apparently this is the message that the school staff voted unanimously to record on their school telephone answering machine.

According to the story, this is the actual answering machine message for the school. This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework. The school and teachers are being sued by parents who want their children's failing grades changed to passing grades -- even though those children were absent 15-30 times during the semester and did not complete enough schoolwork to pass their classes.

The outgoing message:

"Hello! You have reached the automated answering service of your school. In order to assist you in connecting to the right staff member, please listen to all the options before making a selection:
* To lie about why your child is absent - Press 1
* To make excuses for why your child did not do his work - Press 2
* To complain about what we do - Press 3
* To swear at staff members - Press 4
* To ask why you didn't get information that was already enclosed in your newsletter and several flyers mailed to you - Press 5
* If you want us to raise your child - Press 6
* If you want to reach out and touch, slap or hit someone - Press 7
* To request another teacher, for the third time this year - Press 8
* To complain about bus transportation - Press 9
* To complain about school lunches - Press 0
* If you realize this is the real world and your child must be accountable and responsible for his/her own behavior, class work, homework and that it's not the teachers' fault for your child's lack of effort: Hang up and have a nice day!

+Quote Post
kalua
post Sep 12 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #13

Musafir

Found something interesting today:
Johnny-Come-Lately
A British expression from the early 1800s is "Johnny Newcome," applied to a sailor newly assigned to a naval ship. Johhny-come-lately is an apparent Americanized version that also appeared in the 19th century. Charles F. Briggs' 1839 novel The Adventures of Harry Franco is thought to be the first appearance: "'But it's Johhny Comelately, ain't it, you?' said a young mizzen topman."

The above is from The Mindless Crap - Origins website. "Come lately" was standard English, or possibly an Irish variant of it, about 100-200 years ago and means "arrived recently".

+Quote Post
walpurgik
post Sep 30 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #14

Musafir

Mi-o trebuit sa ma joc cu astia de-a 7-a, eu cu my goofy humour si cand le-am prezentat manualul Snapshot, am glumit cu o pronuntie mai basarabeanca gen sniepşuot. M-am gandit ca-i inofensiv, insa dupa 2 saptamani, ieri, cand am intrat la clasa, se aude din spate, uite-o sniepşuot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/zapacitul.gif)
Aceste minunate glumite pe care m-apuca geniul ascuns sa le-nfaptuiesc se pot rasfrange asupra mea foarte usor, asa ca trebuie sa-mi controlez instinctul.
Oricum, un prunc se duce dupa el sa faca buretele si la mine e cu voce tare, yes, go fuck the burete, altadata la o rumegatoare din banca a 2-a i-am zis go scuipa za guma, altii care-s adesea crocodili, le-am zis ca-i fac ciubote. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nusepoate.gif) imi pierd din statut. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/closedeyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Sep 30 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #15

V.I.P.

Group: Administratori
Member No.: 180

Walpu (IMG:style_emoticons/default/morderis.gif) You rule! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
dr_wise
post Nov 17 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #16

Musafir

Gagici, help me, pleaseeeee!
M-a auzit un american spunand "dupa fapta si rasplata" si zise ca "sounds terrific", fir-ar sa fie de treaba! Acu trebe sa-i explicitez curiosului what I am really saying!!! Care-mi da o mana de ajutor, stie expresia idiomatica in engl si vrea sa ma scoata din....?!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crying.gif)

This post has been edited by dr_wise: Nov 17 2007, 07:21 PM

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Nov 17 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #17

V.I.P.

Group: Administratori
Member No.: 180

Cred ca era ceva de genul as the work, so the pay....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/debile.gif)

This post has been edited by sweet_girl: Nov 17 2007, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
dr_wise
post Nov 17 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #18

Musafir

Multumesc! Da' mai astept niste pareri....

+Quote Post
FluturasCuReacti...
post Nov 17 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #19

Mamuca crocodililor

Group: Obsedat
Member No.: 1,584

QUOTE(sweet_girl @ Nov 17 2007, 07:30 PM) *
Cred ca era ceva de genul as the work, so the pay....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/debile.gif)

asta este. unii americani, aia mai batrani, folosesc si "tit for tat".o alta traducere (aproximativa) ar fi "come to someone's autumn".

+Quote Post
dr_wise
post Nov 17 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Musafir

Multumesc! Cine mai doreste, cine mai pofteste?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:08 AM